Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mariella

Another old post I started, and didn't post:

Mariella and her family just sat down in the seats that face us.
When she sat down, she stated (to no one in particular) "This is MYseat!"
...no one answered so she had to mention it one more time so Mummy and Daddy would take notice.
"Yes, you do have your own seat, Mariella, and you'll have your own seat on the airplane now that you're a big two year old!"
Satisfied, she sat in HER seat, and with her big bright eyes she surveyed the others sitting around her.
"What's that sleeping?" ... again, no answer.
"What's that sleeping?" ... still nothing
Knowing where she was going with this line of questioning (repeat until someone answers) I was ready when she asked again, pointing straight ahead with her little important finger "Whats that sleeping?"
"That's MY little girl!" I told her, smiling.


I was smiling because yes, my big little girl took up 2-3 seats just by stretching out her legs in this corner of the waiting area and yes, she was sound asleep. I knew this had to be an unusual sight for this blonde little chatterbox.


When I answered, her parents took notice. It wasn't that they were ignoring or neglecting her. I could tell they were just very used to Mariella asking questions and they had a young son as well, just a bit older. In fact, when I answered, her mother said to me in a very perfect English accent "She IS sleeping...I envy you so much" I assured her that one day Mariella will probably sleep all of the time too, and that waking up at 4 in the morning to get to the airport will seem like torture to her.


In the amount of time it took me to mention this, Mariella had already changed course. She had gotten up, gotten her mother's purse from the other end of the row, took it to her father and started asking him to get something out for her. Turned out she wanted the boarding pass. Smart kid. When she pulled out the box of something that made noise, and started shaking it while Mummy was reading to her son, and Daddy was just being Daddy (again, she wasn't being paid attention to) it took about five minutes for someone to realize she was trying to get their attention and that maybe they needed to move so they didn't wake up my sleeping giant. When Sage woke up she had no idea the family had ever been there.

I love watching people at the airport. I love wondering where they came from, where they are going, and I even picture where they might live and what their home might look like. I'll probably never forget Mariella.

No comments: