Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Purpose



I have been thinking a lot about Purpose. 

For the past few years I have been wandering around in different clouds of depression, oftentimes just going through the motions because I am alive and have to do something. Until Sage went to college, my purpose was to raise her well. My "I am here to..." was "raise my daughter to be a bright, contributing, functional member of society" and now that she is in college I guess my purpose has grown legs of its own and doesn't need me as much. 

So now what? I find myself asking the same questions I asked a much younger me. Why am I here? What am I supposed to do? What is my purpose in life? Well, I saw this Alicia Keys video yesterday or so, and it gave me the script to begin answering this question. "I am here to..." 

I am coming closer to re-defining what that is or what it could be. I am starting to think that my Purpose is the sum of all of its parts plus how I choose to live my future. I think that right here and now "I am here to...be a light in dark places, have faith and hope where none seems possible, and to share that with others as best as possible." 

Today. 

No comments: