Thursday, December 30, 2010

My New Theme Song

So. This is how it's gonna be. I read a quote today, one that we have all heard before: “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” -Alexander Graham Bell

After my post yesterday, I had a long conversation with my glass of wine (okay, I had a few glasses/conversatoins and a couple shots of Barenjager...life changing, let me tell you). I decided that it is definitely time for an attitude adjustment, and one that will last for a while. I decided that I'm tired of being sad, but that doesn't mean that I have to keep being sad. So, I'm letting that go. The people I lost, Andy included, aren't coming back. I can choose to remember the good things and move forward, or I can choose to wallow in this heartbreak that is threatening to cripple me. I choose forward. 

Then I read that quote this morning, and I thought "Damn straight!"

I'm going to walk through my open door. Not only that, I'm going to hurricane-proof the old door. That door really sucked and it needs to stay closed. 

The first stop through my new door is Denver. I know exactly 1 person there. I bought my own plane ticket, I'm staying in LoDo and I bought a ticket to see G.Love and Special Sauce open for Widespread Panic. When G is finished, I'm going out on the town and watching the fireworks at midnight!! And when those fireworks go off, I am going to celebrate and open my heart to good things and happiness and sunshine and rainbows...and fairies and unicorns LOL.

Seriously, though, I CHOOSE light. I CHOOSE happiness. I CHOOSE to let go of my anger and my sadness and my bitterness and all that other yukky stuff and rise above it.

It's a new dawn, a new day, a new life...for me...and I'm feeling good..

Here - I'll share the lyrics of the Nina Simone version:

Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Breeze driftin' on by you know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Fish in the sea you know how I feel
River running free you know how I feel
Blossom on the tree you know how I feel

(refrain)

Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, don't you know
Butterflies all havin' fun you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done
That's what I mean

And this old world is a new world
And a bold world
For me

Stars when you shine you know how I feel
Scent of the pine you know how I feel
Oh freedom is mine
And I know how I feel
                                                                        

A new birth, a new me, a new year, new new new!


 

No comments: